Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Disturbing Conversation


Disturbing is not a strong enough word. Devastating may be more in line with the subject and potential outcome. I was sitting in Panera Bread in Marlboro, Massachusetts having coffee after a customer meeting. Working on some email and planning for a meeting later in the day I was pretty much heads down into my work.

A women a few tables away was moving to sit down when she recognized a man and said I have not seen you for a while. The man acknowledged her; he replied that he had been at his mother’s funeral. The woman expressed her condolences. The man answered telling the women that his mother was 90 and lived a good life.

How to react when a person dies, my first reaction is “ I hope they were saved.” My mother died 18 months ago at the age of 89. She lived a good life. That was not all. I was sad to see her go I was happy for her to be in Heaven with Jesus her Lord and Savior. Mom’s last few years were not that kind. She did not have any pain. She was confined to a bed or her wheelchair she could not talk she did smile all the time. She was active all her life, her last day living in the only house she and my dad ever owned, she fell backwards off of a ladder while cleaning her windows. This was only a few years before she died. Mom was active so her state in the nursing home was not appropriate for her.

I then heard the man talk about his mother’s funeral. He said he told the priest to pick verses that related to his mother’s life. He then said the priest did not pick the verses as he had requested. He went on to say; "the priest did not know his mother." Jesus may have been her Lord and Savior I do not know.

When someone asks about my mother, I will always make the comment that she committed her life to the Lord 30 or so years ago, now she was in heaven.

At my funeral, my pastor will select the verses the commentary and the eulogy. He knows me. As I write this I would also say that I could do the same for him. I know my pastor. I know his heart. I pray that I will not be here to prepare for or attend his funeral.

Maybe it is age but more than that it is an appreciation for the price Jesus paid for my soul and the soul of the mother of the man in Panera Bread. The price was so high He valued us so much. I hope she accepted the gift at some point in her life. The decisions and her destiny are made. There are many people, half the world in fact, who have yet to hear the Gospel Message and make their decision.

Men in Ministry this is our mission reaching one man at a time, so that none should perish. 

Holy Spirit, please lead me to whom you have for me to witness today. Please give me the words to say.


Men in Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment