Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Men in Ministry Most Valuable Player


World Series Game 2
Living in San Francisco being more than just a baseball fan. I grew up in Cleveland and still avidly follow the Cleveland Indians. Recently the San Francisco Giants won the World Series. I live close to the park I can walk to the games, which I often do.  The first two and only World Series Games that were in San Francisco this year were on Wednesday and Thursday. We have a terrific service on Wednesday night to refresh and experience the Holy Spirit and this year, on Thursday, we celebrate with Men in Ministry Neighborhood Prayer Groups, all around San Francisco. I would have loved to be at the World Series. On a different night, I would have likely gone to a game.

I did walk over to the AT&T Park before the second game to see the crowd and take a few pictures.  As I was photographing the crowd I thought; tonight there would be 45,000 people in the stadium routing for a baseball team. Routing for people who 99% of the fans never met and do not know.  I related to the coming Sunday when in all of San Francisco there will be less than 45,000 people worshipping our Lord and Savior. Please do not get me wrong; I am excited that 45,000 fans are at the game. That is great. I have been there many times in stadiums across the country. 

Two things came to mind with those thoughts: one, the value of each one us; two, the sadness that Jesus who determined our value receives less attention than 25 men playing a game. The game of baseball is a fantastic game but is meaningless, to anything eternal.

I thought of the stadium full of people yelling and screaming for a team. I transferred that to the same venue same people overly excited for Jesus. This is a vision of what is to come right here in San Francisco. This city will be the light for the Lord.

Each one of us is valuable. We determined the value of everything by what someone will pay for it. Thousands of times each day this happens on EBAY and Wall Street.  On Wall Street, fortunes are determined by an “ask” and a “bid”. The value is quickly set for the largest corporations in the world by an “ask” and a “bid”.  On EBAY, people bid on products. The bidding determines the value of the product. Then I laugh when people who are successful on EBAY say they won. I look at as though they bought something.

Jesus, who bought us out of slavery by dying a brutal death Jesus gave it all for us. Our value was determined that afternoon on Calvary.

If the people entering the stadium for that second World Series Game would truly realize their value, how their value is set and by whom. The stadiums would be filled with worshippers of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Men in Ministry take heart the Victory has been won the hard work is done! As Peter said, in Acts 4:20; “For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”  We are witnesses to the Victory Jesus has won. Now we need to tell everyone that Jesus loves him.
Men in Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment