Friday, August 16, 2013

Be Holy

We are commanded by God in 1 Peter 1:16: “Be Holy, because I am Holy.” It is a command from God. It is not a suggestion. It is clear that the expectation is one of full time 24-7 holiness. Men in Ministry, God is holy all the time! Wow! This is quite an expectation!

Let us think about God and some of His promises. He promises to be with us, always. He sent the Holy Spirit to be our helper and comforter. God tells us in Deuteronomy 31:8: “It is the Lord that goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”  This is a promise. We see the promise fulfilled in many parts of the Bible. God has given us many examples of people who have turned back to God and He answered their prayers, beyond any expectation.

Men in Ministry, “Be Holy,because I am Holy.”

In the last weeks and months probably years, Pastor has preached, taught and exhorted us to be Holy. I took notes as I do. I reviewed the notes afterwards, often times, looking up the Bible references and in some cases chose the references as memory verses. Pretty much, as I studied I felt more and more inferior.

How could I become Holy like God commands?

This went on for months. I will never say that God was distant, He was not. My prayer life was full, the Bible each day jumped out at me, but I could not shake this feeling of inferiority to God. Now I am nothing, Jesus did it all, but still God tells me clearly He does not want me to feel inferior. What should I do?

This past Sunday sitting in Glad Tidings listening to a particular great sermon, God said: “You need to fast.”  I asked some specifics, fast what and how long? God answered Fast all but water for 3 days. I starter the fast. By the way, the sermon had nothing to do with fasting it was all about faith.

I fasted and as usual during a fast the flesh struggled to win out and eat. Thanks to the Holy Spirit the fast prevailed. Thank you, God! I broke the fast with the best home made spaghetti and meatballs on the planet. I made it; however, I did not have an answer from God.

The next morning during the daily Bible reading: 2 Chronicles 16-18, I received part of the answer: “Ask God for the victory today.” I said: "I pray every day I turn everything over to you, every day." The reply: "Ask Me for the victory every day." So I put on it on an index card and placed the card on my desk, next to my One Year Bible. This is where I start my day. As I am writing, that will change, I am taping the message: “Ask God for the victory todayI”  to the front of my One Year Bible.

That was the first part of the answer. The second part of the answer came this morning as I began to write about the time spent fasting. The second part of the answer is surrender!

“ Be Holy, because I am Holy” 1 Peter 1:16

Surrender

  1. Pray everyday, Paul says pray continually
  2. Study His Word every day
  3. Fast
  4. Thank Him
  5. Praise Him
  6. Listen to and study sound preaching
  7. Listen to His voice and obey Him

Glad Tidings Men in Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment