Monday, August 5, 2013

Freedom

Men in Ministry, as citizens of the world we cherish our freedom, often times to death.


The Declaration of Independence states: “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal that they are endowed by their
Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” Liberty we can equate to “freedom.” The definition of liberty “The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life.” “Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom” 2 Corinthians 3-17. Freedom is vital to all people. Is freedom as it is defined in society the same as freedom defined by God?


Men in Ministry, first I am a Christian then I am an American, first I am a Christian before I am anything. Christian we have to agree on this as the foundation for all our living.


I am a Christian I follow God’s commands: “Be Holy because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16 The root definition of holiness: Holiness is the voluntary choice to limit my freedom to bring my thoughts, my motives and attitudes into alignment with the character of God.


First I am a Christian. I am commanded to bring all that I do into alignment with God’s character and where the spirit of the Lord is there is freedom. Does freedom, as defined by society, seem out of alignment with these three statements?


We live in the world, but we are not of the world. We are citizens of heaven and simply ambassadors to earth. Are my worldly freedoms limited?


Christianity is a relationship with Jesus. It is not built on rules. Rules create limits. If I love the Lord, it will be my hearts desire to live according to His purpose. I have a loving relationship with Jesus; therefore, I am free. He only wants what is good for me here on earth and for eternity.


I voluntarily limit my freedom to bring my thoughts, attitudes, motives and actions into alignment with God’s character. I do this because of whom God is and because of my relationship with Him and His relationship to the people around me. Let us add to this 1 Corinthians 8:9 “Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.” If I do something that causes another person to sin, I am sinning. God tells us in 1 Corinthians 12:“When you sin against your brother in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.”


The pursuit of worldly happiness, using all my worldly freedoms, will leave me empty. It may also cause others to sin.


Pursuit of holiness will fill me. Holiness brings intimacy with God. Holiness like Christianity is not a series of rules it is a loving relationship with Jesus and all our neighbors.


Men in Ministry, as citizens of heaven, we need to be passionate about freedom until death.


Glad Tidings Men In Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment